Friday, January 2, 2009

Lesson for me to learn...

I am currently reading "More Than Enough" by Dave Ramsey. I keep mulling over the truth of the following passage and had to share it.

On page 219 of his book "In our culture where hard-driving get things done Type-A people are those we honor and attempt to model our success after, patience doesn't seem to have a place. True success has an element of patience that gives the person walking with it the peace to make long-term decisions with the view of a mountaintop. Perspective comes from patience. When you meet one of these people don't mistake them for cowards who don't have the spine to make the tough call. They can make the call but only when patience tells them that people and long-term values have been considered and protected. They have a different perspective than some young hot-shots. They will always value people, consensus, agreement, the team, values, and the long-term effects of the decision over posturing or the perception of others."

I needed to read that as I have a situation in my life right now where I feel someone in leadership should be taking quicker action but after reading this passage I began to wonder if I am not the hot-shot. I am sitting in a valley of stress and wanting some action, not sitting on the mountaintop with patience and the overall perspective. A hard lesson to be digesting! :) God is good though and He doesn't let us sit in complacency for long.

No comments: